By: Tara Casagrande
If you've ever had a shot of wheatgrass, you know that it's a curiously intense flavor - and definitely an acquired taste. Did you know that this electrifyingly green liquid is packed with a huge amount of hardcore health benefits? Here are some of my favorites:
1. Wheatgrass juice is one of the best sources of living chlorophyll available today. However, to get the full benefit, the chlorophyll must come fresh from a living plant... thankfully, South Block is on top of that! Some benefits of chlorophyll include (how about that, a list within a list!): controlling food cravings, controlling body odor, healing, cleansing of the liver, improving blood sugar problems, etc.
2. Wheatgrass juice is an effective healer because it contains all minerals known to man. It is extremely rich in protein, and contains 17 amino acids- the building blocks of protein.
3. Wheatgrass juice, which is high in oxygen, can dissolve the scars that are formed in the lungs from breathing acidic gasses. The negative effect of carbon monoxide is minimized since chlorophyll increases hemoglobin production.
4. Wheatgrass juice is good for skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis because of its innate antioxidants, which also help to slow down the aging process.
5. Wheatgrass juice provides me with an overall sense of well-being. Can't you tell by the face I make when taking it? :) I've found that wheatgrass juice shots, although strong in flavor, are a lot like taking cod fish oil - hard to get used to but the benefits are incredible.
This month, we'll be donating 25 cents to New Hope Housing for every wheatgrass shot you take and every Ease yoga class you attend. This is a local organization in Alexandria that provides homeless families and individuals shelter, housing, and the tools to build a better life.
So please, give to yourself and to New Hope Housing this month. Your body and mind will thank you for it. You can sign up for your March classes here.